What We Are Reading Now!




Interview with author and publisher Jessica Tilles




JESSICA TILLES is a best-selling author, award winning publisher of Xpress Yourself Publishing, LLC and founder of The Writer’s Assistant.

A native of Washington, DC, she is a creative writer in all genres of fiction and non-fiction, with several titles in print: Anything Goes, In My Sisters’ Corner, Apple Tree, Sweet Revenge, Fatal Desire, Unfinished Business, editor of the best-selling anthology, Erogenous Zone: A Sexual Voyage, and contributing author to The Triumph of My Soul edited by Elissa Gabrielle.

Listed in Heather Covington’s Top 100 Literary Divas, Jessica remains humble in her literary endeavors and continues to assist authors with the business of self-publishing through The Writer’s Assistant.



Tell us what motivated you to write this book.
I owe it all to my ex-husband, for telling me that I was not the woman he thought I was, I had no motivation, no ambition, and basically wasn't doing shit with my life. Although his comments hurt deeply, and I also know that they were spoken out of spite, nonetheless they were all the motivation I needed. Four weeks later, I completed Anything Goes. Seven years later, I am divorced with six novels and one anthology in print, the publisher of Xpress Yourself Publishing, with 28 authors, and founder of The Writer's Assistant. Well, I guess I proved him wrong. Wouldn't you say?


Who did you write this book for?
No one. Every word I write, every plot I create, every character I develop, I do for my enjoyment, my pleasure, and sanity. Every sex scene I create, makes me hot. Every sad scene I conjure up, makes me cry. Writing keeps me grounded, true to myself and others, and out of trouble.


Where are you from? What is your favorite book, music, movie, play?
I am a native of Washington, DC, currently residing in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. My favorite book is Groove, Jive and Bang Around by Steve Cannon. I've purchased three copies and each copy has disappeared. The next copy I'll lock up in my safe deposit box! I guess I'm not the only who enjoyed reading the hot, nasty, raunchy work of Steve Cannon. I love R&B and I dibble dabble in a little Easy Listening. My favorite all-time movie, hands down, is The Color Purple! My favorite plays: Well, I don't do plays too much at all. I've enjoyed Tyler Perry plays, but I've enjoyed them better after he turned them into films. Although, I absolutely love Madea. "Halleluyer."


How do you spend your free time? Do you write poetry or sing?
Free time? What in the hell is that? When I'm not glued to my computer, I absolutely get tickled when I know I'm about to watch my favorite reality shows. Not into poetry too much, but I do enjoy spoken word. And sing? Uh, well...I'll stick to writing!


How did you feel when you saw your book on the shelf for the first time?
Extremely blessed and overly excited. When I saw Anything Goes on the shelf, I yelped so loud, you would've thought there was a wounded dog in the bookstore. Definitely a great feeling! And, even more so to see all of my books lined up on the shelves.


What is your process for creating a novel? Do you plot out the story or do the characters speak to you?
Nope, don't do any plotting. I write off the top of my head. It isn't until I reach the end and begin the first stage of re-writes that I begin to mold the novel.


Could you image your life without writing today?
No. I would be lost. I would shrivel up and die. I would probably take my life. But, put a man in my life and ask me that question again. :-) Honestly, no, I could not imagine. Writing is such a huge part of my life, and has been for over seven years. When everyone else is partying and hanging out, I'd rather sit at my computer. There's this saying: "The life of a writer is a lonely one." Whomever said that ain't never lied!


Do you feel writing is for those trained to write or for anyone who has a story to tell?
Writing can be for anyone, as long as they learn the craft and consistently hone their skills. Even the best of the best hone their skills daily by reading the works of others.



As a writer, what are some of the most important things you try to convey to readers through your books?
I really make no attempts to convey anything. I write to entertain. If a reader happens to get something from one of my books, then I think it's a beautiful thing and only adds more motivation for me to write more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like the article or presentation? Share your views and opinions today!

Tantalizing stories, memorable characters, provocative storylines are all here!

We bring you the hottest titles released by the most talented authors, writers, and poets of the craft.


Join us in daily chats, audio book previews, and exposing great books to the world. Would you like to be a guest blogger? Just email Ella, elladcurry@edc-creations.com