What We Are Reading Now!




Interview with author John R. Williams


John R Williams was born and raised on the Southside of Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of three sons. As a product of a single parent home, John discovered a deep appreciation for the arts at an early age through music, poetry and writing. As a child he was exposed to bittersweet life growing up in the inner city. In 2003, John began writing informally. He wrote in a journal daily trying to perfect his writing style. His goal was to master both comedic and dramatic writing. John received no formal training in literature other than reading urban classics and masses of poetry that he usually found at book fairs and in local libraries. He studied the works of urban novelists and allowed his ability to be influenced heavily by these cutting edge authors.

Over time John developed his own unique style. John used his shortcomings as a child and experiences as a young adult to shape his edgy writing style. The stimulus for his literary aggression is oftentimes revealed in his works. If asked, John would tell you that the goal of his writing is to entertain, educate and assist with the human spirit's progression. While pursuing a writing career he also maintained a prominent position at a large Telecommunications company. His hard work brought him success as a Sales Executive. John soon learned how to sell ideas. Over time his profession afforded him the means to truly make a go at professional writing.

In 2004 John focused his efforts and began to explore writing.Within his first year writing professionally John self-published two titles. His first work; a children’s short story and coloring book about the bond between father and son entitled Daddy and Me was a huge success!

His second work, a book he co-authored with his best friend was an immediate success. C.E.L.L Cityfolk Electronically Livin Life: The Secrets We Hide in Our Cell Phones was an engaging endeavor with a strong storyline about three best friends living, working and playing in Chicago that expose the hidden world of wireless treachery.

In 2006 What Could Have Been? The Saint, The Sinner and The Attempt was released. It was his 1st independent novel. Books simply flew off the shelves! John participates in charity and community events on a regular basis and attributes his love for hip-hop and the entrepreneurial spirit as his main motivators. In his free time John can be seen frequenting just about any Neo-Soul CafĂ©, poetry reading or urban hotspot in any major U.S metropolis. Please support John’s efforts by purchasing copies of his books!!




· Tell us what motivated you to write this book
Last year I attended my own 10-year class reunion. Seeing all of the old familiar faces and reconnecting with classmates made me a bit nostalgic. On the flipside of things, I felt that a connection with the idea that people can find that lost thing. Whether it was closing a door that should have been shut or opening one that should have never closed. During that magical weekend some of the things I saw, experienced and involved myself in needed to be immortalized in the pages.

· Who did you write this book for?
I wrote this book for anyone that believes in love. This book is anyone who’s been homesick or somehow lost themselves when they got grown. I wrote this book for everyone who enjoyed their youth and lived wild and free. Most importantly I wrote it for myself. I was able to close a few chapters in my own life with this project.

· Bring your 3 main characters to life.
Tell us who they are and what you love about them.

Character #1-Sean Jiles/ He is an educated college graduate with a lot of charisma and a way with words. Physically he has that uncommon smooth that only comes with practice. He is handsome but far from pretty, sexy but not a snob; he has style but enjoys the simple things in life. At times he is a bit too caring and has trouble with conflict. He is very goal driven but takes great care with the things he loves such as his companion or his writing.

Character #2-Eva Jones/She is a bitch on wheels. Eva is an insanely jealous, insecure, fiery vixen with a killer body and a lot of street smarts. She is sneaky and fake. She can lie to anyone with a straight face and she is very controlling when it comes to her own possessions. She can’t imagine how the world would function without her, she is arrogant and devious. Sean’s perfect polar opposite.

Character #3-The City of Chicago/ In The Reunion I use the city of Chicago as a character. Chicago is my hometown. Having been born and raised there I know the Chicago ’s good, its bad and its ugly. I use the city’s bright lights, marvelous locales and propensities to create a mood. I want my readers to see how Chicago can embrace you like one of its sons or provide the perfect backdrop for any kind of mayhem. It’s one of the most beautiful ugly towns in the world.


· How do you spend your free time? Do you write poetry or sing?
I spend my free time trying to better myself mentally and emotionally. I had a very rough upbringing as a child. I made a promise to myself to break the cycle. I wanted to be someone that my son could look up to and be proud to call his dad. If I had to give examples I would tell you that I try to exercise at least 3-4 times a week. I would tell you that I consider myself to be a guy’s guy. I love sports, classic cars, a good challenge and seeing beautiful things. Truly I am just a regular dude with a gift.


· What is your process for creating a novel? Do you plot out the story or do the characters speak to you?
For me a great novel begins with a phenomenal idea or premise. Many of the books I consider to be well written always have (3) things in common. They have complex characters, a good storyline that is identifiable and they contain turmoil or inner conflict of some sort. I always begin with the end in mind. I already know how I want each of my stories to end, it’s getting there that makes it challenging. I plot out events and try to stick to a timeline. I have been successful with that formula.

John R. Williams-THE Author
http://www.theauthor.us/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like the article or presentation? Share your views and opinions today!

Tantalizing stories, memorable characters, provocative storylines are all here!

We bring you the hottest titles released by the most talented authors, writers, and poets of the craft.


Join us in daily chats, audio book previews, and exposing great books to the world. Would you like to be a guest blogger? Just email Ella, elladcurry@edc-creations.com